It is so easy to make your own healthy and nutrient rich muesli. This recipe has a lot of nuts and seeds and no added sugar. It is just SO good for you!
Due to being nutrient dense from the nuts and seeds etc, a small serving will sustain you till mid morning or maybe till lunch no problems. The only sugar content would be the small amount of dried fruit and you can skip those if you want. It is radically different to the highly processed cereals at the supermarket which have on average 25%-40% sugar. The day I read those cereal labels was the day I started making our own muesli, more than a decade ago. I work with high schoolers and many are really tired by 10am. I often ask them what they had for breakfast and they usually say cereal or bread. Carbs and sugar give an insulin peak followed by a crash. If we are going to eat, we may as well eat nutrient dense food which gives us a steady energy supply. We perform better and are healthier.
I buy all my ingredients at Aldi for a great price (all conveniently together in the health food stand) but you can find them anywhere. Here is my recipe that makes approximately 2kg. As it is nutrient dense and not just carbs, I only need around 1/2 a cup serving (60-70g) with my milk (in my case soy or almond milk). So the batch makes almost 30 servings! It works out about $1.00 per 100g which is roughly the same cost as the cereal in the supermarket but this recipe is a meal, not just a filler. To make your muesli meal even more complete add some berries on top!
Any of these ingredients could be skipped if you were allergic to them or didn’t have them at hand. You can also vary any quantities to preference. This is cruisy ‘cooking’!
INGREDIENTS for SHEVAUN’S MUESLI (2kg batch)
- Rolled oats (not quick oats) 800g approx
- Coconut shredded or flakes 200g approx
- Around 1kg made up of any of the following according to your preferences:
- Flaxseed and flaxseed meal (very healthy and cheap ingredient)
- Pepitas, almonds, sunflower seeds, walnuts
- Dried cranberries or sultanas
- Cacao nibs
- Chia seeds.
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tsbpn cardamom
- Optional 1 tsbn Allspice
- Optional AT TIME OF EATING: add some berries from the freezer.
- Put everything in a big bowl or 10 litre pot and mix with a big spoon.
- Store in airtight containers. Tip: put a 1/2 cup measure in the container for easy portion serving as it really is filling.